13 September 2020

Morning Walk Vignettes : Pandemic - Life must go on.

Morning Walk Vignettes : Pandemic - Life must go on.
I have been going for my morning walk for more than 20 odd years now. 
Along my morning walk route, there are lot of early morning breakfast thelas, stalls located at strategic places plying their trade for 2-3 hours in the morning.
As long as I remember there has always been a  nasta & tea stall and other etables manned by  Mr and Mrs, Yadav near Hingna T point. Another place which has been there is a Tea and, "Nasta", savji poha and chana, eatables 'thela' at the cornet of Mangalmurti chowk. Photo below. 
First write up on:
Saoji Poha :  
He usually came at his usual spot near Mangalmurti chowk, around 0545 to 0600 hour . Did fair amount of business and wound up at around 0800. We had common milk vendor. Few times our milk collection times coincided. He usually differed to me and indicated that I should be served first. I always declined and told him to collect his milk first as he had to start his sales as early as possible. He acknowledged it by folding his hands and a smile. 
Every time I passed his thela, if not busy in serving customers, he used to wave at me. I responded by a loud 'namaskar' and a smile. 
We never exchanged words. I Never had tea or poha with chana at his thela. Except twice we got it packed when Anuj wanted to eat saoji poha and chana. Anuj loves street food In fact he loves "food".....
.
We went to Delhi in first week of March. Got stuck there due to C-19. Eventually returned by May end.Started our morning walk some time towards June end. initially because of compulsory home quarantine and later as precautionary measure.

Did not see either the tea thela or Yadavs at tea stall since we started our walks almost two months plus.
I checked. I was told that, almost all the thelewala had to either stay at home or do something to earn daily bread. With thela as an asset, they switched over to selling fresh vegetables as thelas selling essential items like vegetables were exempt from lockdown restrictions.

Our established roadside or regular thelewala vegetable trader may not have done business management course. Yet by experience they knew inventory control, and inventory management. They Follow first in last out or last in first out principles, how to, how much and when to order and other management tricks. Also following tricks not taught in management courses but learnt with experience. How to preserve the perishable stuff for as long as possible. Slipping in one odd doubtful piece along with good stuff etc. In the end they did manage to turn sufficient profits to sustain themselves. 
Men like my  tea stall fellow had no idea of the tricks of the trade. They had terrible times. Many could not sustain. How they managed to survive will remain something between them and their God. 
For the last 5-6 days, after the latest relaxations in lockdown conditions, I was glad to see my  the tea thela fellow was in his usual spot near Mangalmurti chowk, trying to restart the business he was used to & engaged in for all these years. See photo.


Today for the first had conversation with him. Mainly me talking. Asking questions and he replying in monosyllables.
He had tried his hand at selling vegetables but was reluctant to share any type of details. I did not persist. At the moment not many customers were coming to him. 
I asked him if customers do not pick up what he will do. He shrugged and replied       
साहेब करोना असो  कींवा  नसो जीवन तर जगायचंय 
SIR, PANDEMIC OR NO PANDEMIC LIFE MUST GO ON.
 Before parting asked him if I could take his photo and write about him.
Again he shrugged and said
​तुम्हाला काढायचे असेल तर ​ काढा 
Here meet my tea stall fellow. 


My heart goes out to people like him. Hope and pray that corona goes away and for everyone, life returns to normal.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment