09 September 2020

Morning Walk Vignettes : Cycling.


For some time now I have noticed that health conscious citizens, young and not so young increasingly using cycles as means of exercise and way to achieve fitness.
For the last six months, particularly since the relaxation in lockdown conditions, there has been a spurt in number of cyclists on my morning walk route.
Variety in cycle designs from the frame, mudguards, to handlebars, to shape and size of tyres is astounding. Most of the tyres were normal to slim to slimmer in thickness and size. In the recent past have noticed very few cycles with monstrous size tyres in thickness and size. For those who can recollect Luna scooterette, these appeared slightly bigger than luna tyres.
I was a bit intrigued.
This morning caught, what appeared to me like father son cyclist duo taking a break. It so happened that the father (my assumption) had cycle with such tyres, see photo. On enquiry I was told that as these tyres offer more grip and offer more drag, they give better workout as compared to slim tyres and burn more calories. To my next question I was told that he had purchased it 5 years back, Cost at that time was Rs 25,000/-
My jaw nearly dropped !
I went all the way back more than 60 to 65 years. 
There was no variety in cycles. Only cycle available was Hercules, Made in England. 
Term market share was not born then. Hercules had 100% market share. I think it cost Rs 100/-. My father was a teacher in govt school. I did not how much was his pay. Those days children did not know such things.  Many years later I came to know his pay in those days of Rs 100/- Hercules. was RS 375/-  
In all of our locality there was only one cycle. Competition came many years later when Atlas bicycle of Indian origin was introduced in India. 
Down south in Sangli, my maternal grandparents place my maternal uncle had a Hercules. He had to pay municipal tax on it. He had to secure a metal tablet (called Billa in marathi) as proof that he had paid the tax and 'registered' his cycle. Considering high speed of this vehicle the municipal authorities insisted that after sunset there should be a light mounted on the cycle. He had a special dynamo with headlight and a rear red light also mounted on his cycle. I could not ride it but had great  time  with cycle on stand, hand paddling with dynamo engaged and  just to see the bright headlight. Finally I had to be pulled away....... 
Indeed since those day when owning a Hercules was a status symbol our country has come a long way.
There are times when I am almost proud of the progress we have made!  
    
 

No comments:

Post a Comment