31 December 2020

My tribute to a man I respected and considered a role model.

Dear Leela and Dear Kaya,
Air Vice Marshal Ajit Sing Lamba passed away on the morning of 30 December 2020. He was suffering from leukaemia.
He was a Test Pilot having completed Test Pilots Course at Empire Test Pilots School UK. 
Was awarded VrC in 1971 war.
He was my Commanding Officer when I was in 22 Squadron in Kalaikunda from 1972 to 1974. 
I had tremendous respect for him as a human being, as a professional military pilot, and as an outstanding officer. I considered him a role model.
Here is a cut and paste job of my tribute to him on our Airforce Veterans group for you to read.
Other (main) reason is for you to know a bit of family history on how marriage of Ajoo and Ajji came about. 
"Sad to hear about passing away of Ajit Sir.
He was my CO in 22 Squadron at Kalaikunda.
A though professional. Very meticulous in everything he did.
A CO, who always looked after his boys and thought of their welfare and improvement.
A role model for me.
I was senior most Flt Lt in the squadron, almost 29, single and drank to excess.
I was marched to his office quite a few times. Given fatherly advice to give up drinking and get married.
As happens when you do not know what is good for you such advice is ignored. In one of such prolonged session, he tried to persuade me to get married. 
I presented all sorts of arguments against marriage saying,
- If I married and had children they would still not have completed their education when I retire.
- When milk is available why by a cow, 
- no money, 
- No girlfriend. It had to be arranged marriage. Do not know who I will marry. 
- etc etc.
He patiently heard all the arguments. Refuted them one by one. Vividly brought out that when growing old a time comes when milk and cow have no relevance. What matters is companionship and an understanding life partner. Eventually, having had enough of such sessions, I promised to get married during next leave.
 - I was granted one month's leave. 
- The then Fg Offr AV Bhagwat, OiC flight fund told to give me Rs 2000/- king's ransom those days
 - On a returnable basis of course. 
- Leave application to get married was "APPROVED" with the name of would-be bride blank in the application. To be filled up on return as a married man! 
To cut a long story short, during the leave after due process of "seeing" and "approval" of the girl got married within 15 days. Returned to squadron a married man !!!!
Filled up the would-be bride's name " PRITI" in blank space in application to get married. 
Today when I am almost 79, staying with a loving, understanding life partner who stood by me through the thick and thin, mostly thin, of the "service life", with children all grown up and happily settled with their families at their places of work,
I still remember the long session with my CO, which I had more than almost 50 years back in his office in KKD.
Following his advice was the best thing I did in my life.
Our firstborn is named Ajeet. Could not think of paying a better compliment to that wonderful professional and understanding human being. 
A great loss. 
Will be forever be remembered with respect, love and affection. 
May he rest in peace.
Velu"
Note
"Marched into CO's office" -  it was a ritual. Held mainly for dressing down of an officer for his transgressions in professional or social conduct. It was considered a serious affair and rare.
 Squadron adjutant marched the officer in CO's office wearing a peak cap, which was never worn on normal working days. Omissions/commissions/ transgressions were brought to officers notice, He was told to mend his ways.
"Permission for marriage". All things were done only after the approval of the CO. An officer had to submit an application requesting permission to get married with details of the would-be bride. 
While applying for this permission I had no idea whom I was going to Marry!!!!!!!!!!! 
It is really true. Such things did happen in the Air Force ( Defence Services).


2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that papa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing Article!! Thanks for Sharing Great Knwledge with us. I was Searching for same Information.Recemtly I started Working on Blog on Neetish Sarda

    ReplyDelete