09 December 2020

Such excitement - I can do without!!

I am a military aviator. That, as well as life in the air force, has been a big adventure full of exciting events. Adventures and exciting events raise your pulse rate and flood the bloodstream with adrenaline giving an exultant  "high". Much better than the "highs" of Roger Uncle or Cousin Whisky.
I have enjoyed both types more times than I can count.
Recently an exciting event took me totally unawares and raised the pulse rate to unwanted levels.
It happened on 1 Dec 20. 
Beginning of the new month. Maid has to be paid and money has to be in hand for monthly expenses.
To withdraw money, I had gone to the ATM which is within 5 minutes walking distance. I had gone very early at 5:45 AM to be the first one at ATM before anyone else touches the keypads.
There are two machines in the cubicle. 
I inserted my debit card in one of the machines and pressed firmly, to my horror the complete card reader assembly went in the machine frame and was hanging by wires. the while this was happening part of my brain realised that the screen was blank. Tried to pull out the card, the machine won't let go, the card won't come out of card reader assembly which was dangling in the machine. My heart rate jumped as happens when excitement hits you.

Card reader assembly way inside the innards of the machine.
photo was taken 8/12.

While trying to pull out the card, pressed all possible keys on keypads. Nothing happening card not coming out. Meanwhile, I was frantically searching everywhere for a contact number of ATM service provider to report my predicament and unserviceability of the machine. No number anywhere Banks won't open till 10:30 AM. Couple of minutes passed which had felt like an eternity. Eventually, I could pull out the card. My heart rate which had hit stratosphere was returning to earth. Took some deep breaths. 
Turned to the other machine.
 Everything worked normally. Withdrew money. As I pulled out the cash, the machine asked if I wanted to view ac balance. Pressed yes. Noted that balance was healthy much better than when I was serving!!
Happily walked back home. 
As I was keeping the cash in Priti's cupboard, I noticed that ATM card was missing from the wallet. For the second time heart rate hit the ceiling. Went back running all the way to the ATM. Steps to be taken in case of lost ATM card flashing in front of my eyes.
It was still early and mercifully no one else seems to have visited the ATM. My card was still in the card reader.
Retrieved it.
Walked back home in a sober mood.  
Called up the bank after 11:00 AM. I was told ATM business was sourced out and they have nothing to do with it. 
In younger days sought higher pulse rate through excitement and enjoyed it.
Since retirement, such occasions have been few and far between. 
Now I can do without such excitements but still would love the other kind :-)

1 comment: