20 January 2021

Peacocks on my morning walk route.

 West of  Subhash Nagar Metro Station and south of Hingna - Ambazri road there is huge huge open ground housing GAGAN Reference Station. 
In monsoon, except for little area all around the lone building, rest of the area is full of thick verdant wild growth of plants, trees and grass. It is a green oasis among concrete buildings all around. Peacock calls were heard regularly during the morning walk. When it was thick overcast I often saw peacocks and peahens perching on electrical poles in the ground. 

Thick of monsoon, peacock/peahens on poles.

With the withdrawal of monsoon except for old mature trees rest of the plants and grass is dried up and turned brown. What was once a green oasis has now turned brown. For long time had neither seen them nor heard peacock calls.
A few days back when on an evening walk with Priti saw six or seven pea hens foraging in the grass. They were quite voung. Before I could take out my mobile from the pocket they ran away and were lost in the thick growth.
A couple of days back, again during the evening walk, the same place saw about 5 or 6 peacocks. These were also young, not mature or fully grown. This time my mobile was in my hand and I was able to get couple of photos. Unfortunately could not get more than three in one frame. 

 Peacocks.


It seems that peacocks have raised new families this monsoon.
In the thick of summer, even the green grass withers away and other than larger and mature plants the huge ground becomes quite barren.
I am worried about the fate of these beautiful birds. I have doubt if they will be able to survive in this harsh barren field. 
Can anyone help me with contact numbers of forest officials who can relocate these birds in a safer environment. 





 
    




 

No comments:

Post a Comment